|4321 Bladensburg Road, Colmar Manor
The Rustic Cabin Restaurant (Berk Motley's Steak House)
Built in 1936. Featured light jazz through the early 1950's. In the mid 50's
some legendary musicians worked this club, notably, Jimmy Dean and the
Texas Wildcats, Frankie Mayo and the New Yorkers and Lloyd Price.
Burk Motly closed his doors in 1997. It is currently a Gentelmans club.
4103 Baltimore Avenue, Bladensburg, Maryland
Originally the Del Rio Restaurant built in 1937 was located at
this spot. It featured Spanish orchestras as entertainment.
The Del Rio burned down on February 16, 1941. A new
building was erected on the site and opened as the Cross
Roads in November 1941.
In the 1940's the Crossroads Featured Big bands and floor
In the 1950's t the Crossroads was one of the areas most
glamorous burlesque palaces controlled by local gambling
lords. The legendary Blaze Starr frequently visited the club.
George Saslaw took over the Crossroads in February 1960.
He hired Dub Howington and the Tennessee Haymakers as
the house band. He booked Roy Clark and the Stardusters
as his first act for a long term engagement. over the years
some of the acts he booked included Ernest Tubb, Jimmy
Dickens , Faron Young , Ronnie Dove, Grand Pa Jones,
Jerry Lee Lewis Link Ray and Danny Gatton.
From 1969 to 1972 Roy Buchanan played at the
Crossroads. In early 1972 he signed a deal with Polydor.
(The news Polydor wanted Buchanan was delivered by
Charlie Daniels who was a familiar figure on the DC rock and
roll scene at the time). many guitar luminarys came to see
Buchanan at the Cross Roads.
amoung Buchanan's following included Eric Clapton, Brian
Auger, Duane and Gregg Allman, Nils Lofgren, Frank Zappa,
Pete Townsend, and Jerry Garcia.
the Crossroads offered a diverse mixture of music throughout
the 1970's and 1980's. It is currently a Jamacian Supper
Information on this page is taken from
Capitol Rock with permission from the
located near the
original Dixie Pig.
The original Dixie Pig
burned to the ground
on November 22,
1952. Nothing has
been built at this
The Greers owned several
establishments in Prince
George's County including
the Calvert House on RT. 1
and the Dutch Pantry.
Barbara Greer originally
restaurant, on Central
Avenue. That was one of
the first places in the area
to offer live rock and Roll
|4501 Annapolis Road,
This former club, now pawn
shop, stands next to the site
of the original Dixie Pig. The
original bar called
Coldenstroth's Saloon, dates
back to the 1920's. In one of
it's incarnations, this building
was a strip club. The original
Dixie Pig Mysteriously bured
down and the building was
The Dixie Pig
3804 Bladensburg Road, Colmar Manor Maryland
this building was originally a lounge called Bill's Palace and the P&C Cafe. It was sold in 1944 and was renamed
the Chesapeake Cafe. Big bands and burlesque acts were featured. It was a very popular nite spot. In 1953 Harry
Isikoff and Reuben Bonnett purchased this location and established it as the new Dixie Pig. The Dixie Pig was the
areas major country nightclub. Roy Clark and Jimmy Dean played there frequently. Patsy Cline appeared for an
extended engagement as well. Charlie Daniels worked regularly at the Pig in 1960, and Bill Haley and His Comets
were booked in October 1960.
Later in the 60's the pig hosted the Medallions (with bassist Jack Casady) The Off Keys, the Saxtones(with Roy
Buchanan) , Link Wray and his Raymen, Big Al Downing, the Ink Spots, Danny Gatton and Charlie Daniels.
The building is currently a Dialysis center.
|Legendary Prince George's County